Valentine’s Day Fruit Lovebugs

Valentine’s Day Fruit Lovebugs

Valentine's Day Fruit Lovebugs Valentine’s Day is known for one thing: chocolate. Okay, okay, there’s also love and friendship and all that, but our kids come home from school with one thing–a hand-made Valentine holder filled with cute little cards and sugary candy. It’s tempting to just jump on that bandwagon and give your kids tiny boxes filled with chocolate creams. Or… you could make them these!

Valentine’s Day Fruit Lovebugs!

Kids love fruit, and they love bugs. There’s no better mix!

Here’s what you’ll need to make Valentine’s Day Fruit Lovebugs:

●       Toothpicks

●       Paring Knife

●       Strawberries

●       Blackberries OR Blueberries (I used both)

●       Candy Eyes (available at most grocery stores)

●       Black Frosting (I used a decorating tube to make things easy)

First, remove the leaves from your strawberries and cut them in half. Using your paring knife, cut the top of the strawberry halves to look like hearts.

Next, use your knife to cut slits in the back of the strawberries. This gives them their “wings!”

With that done, cut a toothpick in half and attach either a blueberry or a blackberry to the rounded part of the heart. I used blackberries for larger strawberries and blueberries for smaller ones.

Now comes the fun part. Take your frosting and stick eyes onto the sides or the fronts of the blueberries and blackberries. These are bugs, so go crazy! Add an extra eye, or make the eyes look off in different direction. It’s really up to you.

And for the final touch, put little frosting spots on your little bugs’ wings.

Viola! Healthy lovebugs! These guys are perfect on their own or thrown on top of heart-shaped pancakes in the morning. Experiment with them, or let your little ones help out!

Happy Valentine’s Day!

About The Author of Valentine’s Day Fruit Lovebugs

Deb, mother of five and foster for dozens of children, including those with special needs, is the creative force behind CreativeKrate. With a background in nursing and early child development, kids and all things kid-like are her life.

Comments

CindyZS says:

i think these are adorable. i found your site through a fb share. i have seen these on fb or pins. i just want to say, i really dont like the idea of toothpicks and kids (no matter how careful!!) so i was trying to think what else could be used. the only thing i could think of could be carrots cut really thin and sharp edged with maybe ‘pre-drilling’ a hole in strawberry. and for the eyes, maybe a piece of banana (soaked in lemon juice) or another paleish fruit so no candy is involved for younger kids. wondering if anyone else might think of something to substitute for the toothpick? thanks and love your site!

Cindy-
      Thanks for stopping by! I never thought about the toothpick but you have a point. I wonder if you might be able to snag some of the fruity flavored mini candy canes and use them as the support. I don’t know if the sugar would dissolve but it’s a thought. I will have to keep my eye out in the store for something and hope someone else chimes in. Have a great day Cindy!

Brandy

• 29.1.1
        Tiffany says:

i was just pondering. What about a spaghetti noodle. Think that may work?

• 29.1.1.1

Tiffany-
          I believe a spaghetti noodle might be strong enough to hold up. The juices may soften it but I doubt it. Great idea and something I might try when I make these next.

Cute little bugs

Ginger says:

Featuring YOU today! Thank you for linking to {wow me} wednesday!

Ginger @ GingerSnapCrafts.com

That is absolutely adorable!!! I’m pinning this for sure! Thanks for sharing via Family Fun Friday.

Fotini Roman says:

These are so adorable! I’m going to give them a try for my son’s Valentine’s party at school! You are among the features this morning, hope you stop by and take a look!

Steph says:

These are just TOO Cute! I’ve been looking for a fun, yet healthier Valentine’s day treat! If you get a chance I’d love to see this post on my linkup: http://timeforseason.blogspot.com/2014/01/my-favorite-things-saturdays-125.html

Diane says:

Ok, these are so adorable and creative! I am pinning right now! And, I am also hosting Family Fun Friday…please stop by and bring these sweet little Love Bugs! They will be the perfect addition to the party! Blessings!

Kristy O says:

This is such a cute idea!!!!

Corrinna says:

These are so cute! Off to the store to buy some strawberries so I can make these for my kids!

Anyonita says:

OH HOW STINKIN’ CUTE! :) Those ore the most adorable bugs ever! Stopping by from Whimsy Wednesdays to invite you to link up at Tasty Tuesdays, where I pin every post shared: http://anyonitanibbles.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/tasty-tuesdays-45-stumbleupon-blog-ops.html Hope to see you there!

Oh, wow, these are Too Cute!
    What a fun idea!!
    I am glad I stopped by from the Marvelous Mondays Link Party.

These are super cute! Thanks for sharing at our Marvelous Monday party – pinning and sharing!

Scarlett says:

These are so cute! I am always looking for healthy holiday snacks. Pinning!

Chelsea says:

These are so cute! Totally doing this!

Mackenzie says:

Brandy- These are SO stinkin’ cute! I love them! :) My little guys would go crazy for these as well! I must make them soon! :)
    You are a Featured Favorite this week on Saturday Show & Tell on Cheerios and Lattes! Thanks so much for sharing with us last week! We can’t wait to see what you’ve been up to this week!
    Have a great weekend!
    Mackenzie :)

Thank you Mackenzie. I am so excited to be a featured favorite this week! I love your hop and find some many great ideas each week that I can’t wait to attempt.

Anne says:

These are adorable!

Sabrina says:

Amazing! These are so cute, what a great idea. So nice to see some Valentine’s food that’s healthy as well as delicious!

These are adorable!! I hope you stop by to link to my party on Tuesdays- http://atozebracelebrations.com/2013/01/link-party-3.html
    Nancy

Becca says:

Oh my, those are so cute! Love that they’re (relatively) healthy too!

ahumblebumble.blogspot.com

Jeni says:

These are too cute!!

Brenda says:

What an absolutely adorable (& delicious) idea!! Thanks for sharing!! Pinning! :)

Adorable idea that I have pinned!

ok i need these adorable strawberry bugs in my life!

lisa says:

Adorable idea! These are too cute!

Michele says:

These are ADORABLE! I have a daughter that would absolutely LOVE them! ;)
    Thanks for sharing!!

Erica says:

How adorable, as a craft and a snack!

I like the idea of using this for a craft. The kids will really get into attaching the eyes! Thank you for stopping by Erica.

How cute and creative! These are a surefire way to get kids to eat more fruit!

Amber they are truly a hit! I am taking them for my sons Valentines party and I know they will be a hit with the whole class.

Jen says:

Those are adorable, easy and healthy! Nice job! I added a Valentine’s Craft to your link, thanks!

Thanks Jen I can’t wait to check it out. I am really looking for activities to keep the kids busy inside with these -30 below temps.

Those are just the cutest little things! I love this idea!

Trackbacks

1. [...] ADORABLE Valentine’s Day Love Bugs will make your kids [...]

2. [...] Valentine’s Day Fruit Lovebugs {Farmer’s Wife Rambles} [...]

3. [...] Valentine’s Day Fruit Bugs [...]

4. [...] them I encourage you to check them out.  With Valentine’s Day right around the corner the Valentine’s Fruit Love Bugs are a healthier (kind of) alternative to a holiday laden with [...]

5. [...] Valentine’s Day Fruit Love Bugs by Brandy @ Giveaway [...]