I love Halloween! Ok honestly it’s the candy I love. I MIGHT have a mild sweet tooth! There is very little candy that I don’t like. So when I got to do a whole post on candy from a trusted company like Sweetworks you bet I jumped at it. Who wouldn’t love receiving a $100 candy prize pack in the mail containing some of my childhood favorites like Sixlets, Chocolate Oranges, Nerds, Ovation chocolate and Oak Leaf (candy gumballs). I can’t believe the company that manufactures these yummy goodies has been in business for over 50 years!
My creative side came out and decided to have some fun with the candy and spend time with the kiddo at the same time. We both love to bake
because baking equals more sweet stuff and decided to make some vanilla cupcakes and Rice Krispy Treats and decorate them with our Sweetworks Candy.
These are so simple to do it is ridiculous!
First you need to make the cupcakes and rice krispy treats. Find my Vanilla Cupcake Recipe From Scratch below and whip up a batch of Rice Krispy Treats from the recipe on the side of the box.
Once they are cooled you get to start having fun!
We used frosting as our glue and stuck with white so that we could still see our fun candies. You can either use a purchased vanilla frosting or make a batch of my favorite decorating icing. Once you have everything baked, cooled and whipped it’s time for the fun part.
Decorate your treats with icing as you work. You will need the icing to be your glue or else you going to end up with a ton of Sixlet Pearls on the floor. I used Sixlet Pearls and Sixlets to do all the decorating on the treats. As you can tell from above we had a blast!
The fun part is there is no wrong or right to this! You and your kids can make all sorts of funny looking creatures to enjoy later or for a class party! Tell me does that Frankenstein need a little help below?
Vanilla Cupcakes were up next.
We received eyeball gum balls and you you know I was going to have fun with that!
Cut a little hole out of the middle of the cupcake. Remember to make it a little smaller than the gum ball for a snug fit. Next place the gum ball in the hole and push down so that it is flush with the top of the cupcake.
Frost the cupcake with whatever color frosting looks scary to you. It is freaky to see an eyeball staring back at you when you go to eat it! I realized I didn’t get a picture of that before I ate it but let m tell you it was delicious and a fun treat at the end! If you check out the picture below the pumpkin one are the same idea.
For the cupcakes I used all Sixlet Pearls except the pumpkins in the middle, those are pumpkin gum balls. We had such a blast making these! So easy and the kiddos can practice their spelling while having a good time.
Vanilla Cupcake Recipe From Scratch + Crisco Based Buttercream
- Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 pinch salt
- 5 tablespoons butter room tempature
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- IndyDeb's Crisco Based Buttercream Ingredients
- 1-1/3 cups Cricso
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, depending on consistency needed
- 3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (*)
- 1-3 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- (*) A powdered whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods, usually found in the cake/sugar aisle in the grocery
- Vanilla Cupcake Directions
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Line a standard muffin tin with 12 paper cupcake liners.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- Beat the sugar, butter and eggs together by adding eggs one at a time and mixing for 1 minute between egg additions. Add egg yolk and once again beat for 1 minute. Add milk and almond extract.
- Gradually beat in the flour mixture on low speed until just incorporated (don't over mix!).
- Divide batter evenly between cupcake liners.
- Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer cupcakes to a cooling rack to cool completely before decorating.
- IndyDeb's Crisco Based Buttercream Directions
- Combine all ingredients and mix. The longer you mix this the smoother it gets!
- I know that it's easy to want to skip ahead and not beat for the full minute between each egg addition but this is crucial to light cupcakes.
Win A Sweetworks Prize Pack
Would you like in on this yummy sweetness? Your in luck! Sweetworks is giving away 10 prize packs valued at $50 a piece. That’s $500 in prize packs they are giving away. YAY! Enter below on the rafflecopter for valid entries.
What would YOU do with all this candy? What sweet treats could you come up with?
Check Out More Fun Sweetworks Creations on Sweetworks Pinterest Page.
Would you like more giveaway entries?