Chicken Pasta Plus
This is called Chicken Pasta Plus, because it is chicken and pasta plus spinach plus black beans plus onions plus tomatoes. It’s one of the healthiest meals my family of vegetable-haters eats and actually asks for more. It’s easy to adjust based on your family’s tastes and what you have on hand.
- One very large or two medium onions chopped
- one garlic clove chopped
- 2 diced plum tomatoes (or 1 regular)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- cooked chicken breasts – 1 – 1.5 lb – chop into bite-size pieces
- 8 ounces of spinach – chopped into large pieces
- 10 ounces (measured uncooked) of pasta – penne or elbow macaroni
- 15 ounce can of black beans
- pinch of salt, pepper, basil (optional)
- shredded cheese (optional)
Preparation time: 35 – 40 minutes – less if you are good at multitasking or have quick cook pasta
- Cook chicken breasts and chop into bite-size pieces. Note: while chicken is cooking, chop onions, garlic, onions, spinach and tomato.
- Cook pasta, drain and set aside.
- Heat skillet over medium heat, and coat with cooking spray or olive oil. Add chopped onion, garlic and nutmeg. Sauté, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes
- Add tomato to skillet and continue to sauté for 1 minute
- Add spinach, stir and cook until spinach is wilted
- Rinse and drain black beans.
- Add black beans and chopped chicken.to skillet and stir.
- Add a pinch of salt, pepper, and basil (optional)
- Add cooked pasta, stir till warm and well mixed.
- Serve as is, or sprinkle grated cheese on top.
This unique recipe was provided by Anne Emerick, creator of No-Work Spanish audiobooks, a most unusual way to learn Spanish.