Growing up my mom made a Swiss Steak that is to die for! I loved it and have tried to replicate it several times with her recipe but it just doesn’t seem to be going well for me. So I had to head out and make my own.
I think she is being greedy with her recipe and I think she leaves a few ingredients out when I ask for it, so that I will keep asking her to cook for me. You know how moms are. I know my mom adds a few dashes of Liquid Smoke to her’s so if you have some in your fridge I would give it a try and let me know how it goes.
While I still miss my mom’s and request it often when I am home I needed something that would work for my own house. I pulled together the below recipe and it became a hit with my family They love it because it is simple and doesn’t contain anything fancy. I like it because it is simple to prepare and I never have leftovers!
The Cast Of Swiss Steak
6-8 Tenderized Steaks or 2 lbs of Thin Round Steak Cut Into Individual Pieces (you will need to tenderize)
1/2 Cup Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
1 Tablespoon Parsley (dried or fresh)
1/2 An Onion Sliced Thinly
28 Ounce Can Of Whole Peeled Tomatoes
1 Sliced Red, Yellow Or Green Pepper (you only need one so pick your favorite)
2 Tablespoons Of Oil
The Directions Of Swiss Steak
1. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a large resealable plastic bag combine flour, salt, pepper and parsley. Add steak a couple pieces at a time and shake to coat both sides of meat.
3. Heat the 2 tablespoons of oil in skillet and brown steaks on both sides. Don’t cook them all the way through just browning them.
4. Place browned steaks in the bottom of a 9×13 pan. Layer with sliced onions and pepper. Pour whole tomatoes over the top of your layers and crush them gently with your hands as you pour them into the pan.
5. Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours to finish cooking meat.
6. Serve over cooked egg noodles or mashed potatoes.
Swiss Steak is a perfect crock-pot meal as well. Instead of layering ingredients in a 9×13 pan after you have browned steak place into your crock-pot and cook on low for 6 hours. I can’t get 8 in my crock-pot though so I stick with 4 but leave the rest of the ingredients the same.