There’s no doubt that cherries are amazing little creatures. Not only do they taste delicious, they are well priced. However, the next time you look at a cherry, you’ll appreciate it a little more because of these amazing facts about cherries.
Amazing Facts About Cherries
- Cherries actually arrived in America around the 1600’s. It’s safe to say that Americans have been enjoying cherries for quite some time.
- Did you know it takes around 250 cherries just to make a cherry pie? How crazy awesome is that!?
- Cherries are well known for the antioxidants they provide humans. Out of the 50 top foods rich in antioxidants, cherries rank number 14.
- Did you know that Cherries actually belong to the rose family?
- Michigan produces around 4 million cherry trees every year. Imagine how many cherries that produces.
When To Pick Cherries
When the fruit is ready, it will be firm and fully colored. Sour cherries will come off the stem when they are ripe enough to be harvested, while sweet cherries should be tasted for maturity. Cherries will not ripen once removed from the tree, so be patient.
You will likely be picking cherries every other day for a week. Harvest as quickly as possible if rain is imminent, as rain will cause the cherries to split. Harvest cherries with the stem attached if you are not planning on using them right away. Be careful not to tear off the woody fruit spur, which continue to produce fruit each year. If, however, you are picking cherries for cooking or canning, they can just be pulled off, leaving the stem behind on the tree.
Cherries can be stored at cool temperatures (32-35 degrees F. or 0-2 degrees C.) for 10 days. Place them in perforated plastic bags in the refrigerator. Read more on cherry picking from Gardening Know How
Cherries are not only delicious, but they are fun to cook with. There are so many different recipes you can make with cherries, whether you are creating a topping for a dessert, or even making a pie, cherries are an amazing addition.
10 Cherry Recipes Your Recipe Box Must Have
- Cherry Almond Oatmeal Cookies
- Cherry Rice Krispie Treats
- Maraschino Cherry Cupcakes
- No Bake Cherry Cheesecake
- Cherry Jelly
- Make Your Own Cherry Sauce for Ice Cream
- Chicken Salad with Blueberries, Cherries & Apricots
- Cherry Coke Cupcakes
- Gluten Free Peach & Cherry Beer Margaritas
- Cherry Cheesecake Beignets