Bruschetta is an easy dish to whip up that both adults and children alike go crazy for. This is my father’s recipe and he’s been making it for years. It’s always a hit, and is always requested at family get-together’s by the kids who gobble it up. It’s a great way to get some healthy vegetables into a child’s diet. This recipe is great as a side dish, or snack and can also be used as a topping and placed on top of some grilled chicken or fish. This dish can be mostly made ahead of time, but leave the olive oil out until you are ready to serve.
1 baguette ¼ cup of olive oil 1 garlic clove (optional)
10 Roma tomatoes 3 cloves of garlic 1 shallot 1/2 cup of basil 1/8 of a cup of thinly shredded parmesan cheese 1/3 of a cup of good quality extra virgin olive oil Splash of good quality balsamic vinegar Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
* Pre heat broiler on high.
* Slice up the baguette and lay them on a baking tray.
* Brush on a bit of olive oil on each side of the baguette slices.
* Broil for about 45 seconds and then turn over and broil for another 45 seconds.
* Rub the garlic clove over each baguette slice (optional, depending on how much you like garlic) and then set bread slices aside.
* Dice up the tomatoes and place them in a large bowl.
* Mince the garlic cloves and shallot and add them to the tomatoes.
* Finely chop the basil and add to the mixture.
* Add in the cheese.
* Pour in the olive oil and the splash of balsamic vinegar and mix well.
* Add salt and pepper to taste.
* Let sit for 15 minutes to a half hour to allow the flavors to marry.
To serve, bring out the baguette slices and add a spoon to the bowl holding the tomatoes. Let your guests decide how much of the tomato mixture they want on their baguette.
As the Italians say “Buon appetito!” Hope you enjoy.
My name is Vanessa, and I wrote this guest post on behalf of PartSelect.ca. I hope you like this recipe and that it becomes a family favorite!