This hearty peasant soup is packed with flavor and good for you ingredients! A super quick and easy dinner made with beans, ground turkey and spinach it’s a healthy, filling, nutritious and frugal dish that’s also a total crowd favorite!
When it comes to inner recipes I love the ones that are filling and nutritious while also being delicious. Let’s be honest, eating a sad salad is not exacting, but eating a warm bowl of soup packed with veggies? That’s delicious.
This hearty peasant soup is exactly that. It’s incredibly filling and nutritious while also being affordable and quick and easy to make. The whole family loves it!
It’s also a really versatile dish so I usually play with what I have around. Have chicken instead of turkey? Just swap it or just change it altogether for ground beef. Have a couple carrots that have seen better days? Mix them in. Don’t like cheese? Just omit it.
That versatility not only helps you use everything that’s in the pantry and fridge but it’s also a fun way to give the soup a different flair and flavor every time.
What to serve with peasant soup
Most of the time I serve this soup as is. But on those nights when I’m craving something extra I serve it with:
- A crusty piece of bread for dipping. Trust me when I say tis is so delicious!
- Some easy garden salad on the side to amp up the veggies
- Cornbread! I’m not sure if I’m the only one but every time I eat a soup with beans I just crave some hearty cornbread too
Can you freeze this peasant soup?
Yes! I usually make a large batch and freeze half before adding the veggies. Once I’m ready to eat I transfer to the freezer to a big pot and add the veggies at the last minute. I feel that’s the best way to preserve the spinach texture
Hearty Peasant Soup Makes For A Ridiculously Easy Soup Recipe
- 1 lb sausage
- 1/2 lb chicken breast
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tbls olive or veggie oil
- 2 cups coarsely chopped spinach
- 1 can (15oz) kidney beans
- 1 can (15oz) diced tomatoes with basil garlic and oregano
- 1 can (15oz) chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- In large saucepan or stock pot, over medium heat, cook sausage, chicken, onion, & garlic in hot oil until sausage is no longer pink.
- Add spinach, beans, tomatoes, broth, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer at least 2 minutes or until heated through. Can be left to simmer long to let the flavors blend even more.