Can a person go wrong with cinnamon & sugar? I think it is near impossible actually. There is just something about these two flavors that can’t be beat, combine them with butter and flour and you know you have a winning combination.
While some can talk about their favorite part of having a churro is at Disneyland and fairs, mine comes from the mall. You know those stands you walk buy near the food cart. You can smell the cinnamon and sugar roasting together under the heat lamps.
You know that is healthy.
I must convince myself that they have not been hanging there long because I MUST have one. It’s a guarantee that stand will be receiving my $5 for this airy and delicious dessert.
The one problem with this (or saving grace) is that the nearest mall food court is 3 hours away. So I had to figure out how to make these beautiful golden brown yummies for myself.
The Cast Of Golden Brown Homemade Churros
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1/4 cup cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
Vegetable oil for frying
Directions For Golden Brown Homemade Churros
1. Combine 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup cinnamon to roll your churros in at the end.
2. Bring water, butter, and 2 tablespoons of sugar to a boil in a saucepan.
3. While you are waiting for the above ingredients to boil you will need to fill a skillet with vegetable or olive oil. Fill your skillet 2 inches full of oil and heat on medium-high. Cover a plate with 3 – 4 paper towels and set aside until needed.
4. After your butter mixture has started to boil turn off the heat add 2 teaspoons of vanilla and stir. Add in your 1 cup flour and mix until mixture pulls away from the sides of saucepan.
5. Add your eggs one at a time. Do this by hand so that you don’t over mix your batter. If you over mix it could make your churros tough.
6. Place your mixture into a pastry bag or ziploc bag with the end cut off. If you want professional looking churros you can use a star tip.
7. Squeeze out 3 – 4 churros into your hot oil. 3-4 inches long is a good size. Don’t over crowd them in the pan as you will need room to turn them. Cook churros for 60-90 seconds on each side. I pulled one out to test the inside to make sure it was done all the way through.
8. Remove churros from oil when they are through and place onto your plate with paper towels.
9. Roll your churros in your sugar and cinnamon mixture.
10. Enjoy these hot and delicious golden brown homemade churros!
Additional toppings could be powdered sugar, chocolate or caramel dipping sauce.