Cherry Almond Oatmeal Cookies

Cherry Almond Oatmeal Cookies WM

Cookies were a huge part of my life growing up. We made them constantly because my family loved them and my mom was and still is a firm believer in learning how to cook. She taught us all how to cook at a young age and we spent plenty of time in the kitchen. I can’t get over how much math I truly did growing up with my cooking and baking skills. Cookies usually have pretty simple ingredients to multiply by or add depending on the level of your learner and my mom always made us do the math of making double or triple batches. Sometimes she would even have us cut one batch in half just to make us do that math as well.

Not only did I gain some great math skills in the kitchen but I learned a lot about chemistry and the way baking powder reacts to other baking elements. Kids can watch the cookies rise and a lesson on how things go from soft to hard is born. Cooking and baking is truly a learning experience all the way around and my mom used it a lot.

Now I use the same skills with my own family and yes cookies such as Cherry Almond Oatmeal, Red Velvet Crinkle or Campfire S’mores are found often in my own house because of this. The boys are learning the joy of baking and how they can combine a few elements to make something completely different. Plus they are learning the skills to fend for themselves. It still shocks me the amount of teens I run into that can’t cook even basic meals, or the moms who brag because their high-school child made hamburger helper.

The Cast Of Cherry Almond Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup or 2 sticks of softened butter
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon almond extract
2 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups quick cooking oats
1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup dried cherries (I like the Traverse Bay Brand)

The Directions For Cherry Almond Oatmeal Cookies

1.  Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Beat eggs in small bowl. Add almond extract and dried cherries. Let sit for at least 15 minutes but an hour is best.

3. In separate bowl combine softened butter and sugar. Mix until fluffy.

4.  To your butter mixture add your egg mixture and mix well.

5.  Add baking powder and quick cooking oats.  Mix well.

6.  Add your flour and give your cookie dough one final good mix.

7.  Drop dough by rounded teaspoons or a small ice cream scoop (Coulter loves this part!) onto a greased cookie sheet and bake 12-15 minutes.

Do you cook with your child in the kitchen?  What is your favorite thing to cook in the kitchen with kids or your own mom growing up?

For more cookie recipes check out these 17 must have cookie recipes.  Plenty of “learning” opportunities!

Comments

rosa rogers says:

this sounds so yummy,i have to make them and i love cherry so that’s a bonus for me.

Cinny says:

I love the almond oatmeal part of it. I’ll have to test this out.

mel says:

These look absolutely incredible!

Krista says:

Yet another amazing cookie recipe!

Kristyn says:

mmm i need to make some of these now they sound delicious!

Dawn says:

I love dried cherries {well, really any kind of cherries}. These look really yummy!

Jenna Wood says:

This recipe looks so simple, yet sounds so delicious. I love using fruit and nuts when baking!

Bre Dale says:

I love oatmeal cookies, how delicious!

These sounds really good. I wonder how they would be with egg whites to lower the fat a bit.

Ashley Sears says:

I have such a soft spot for cookies. I love these cherry almond oatmeal cookies. I will have to get them a try!

This is so easy! Thanks for sharing… sounds delish!

oh this looks super yummy!!

xo,
    Sandy
    Sandy a la Mode

I cooked with my son a lot when he was growing up, and now he is living on his own he is incredibly confident in the kitchen. I agree, it does help teach so many things, including math skills. Your Cherry Almond Oatmeal cookies look delicious, and I like the wholesome ingredients they contain. Thank you for sharing this recipe with the Hearth and Soul hop.

April-
      Cooking teachers so many skills. My brother is extremely confident in the kitchen and I know that is because we all had to take so many turns. His wife loves it! Thank you for stopping by and hosting Hearth and Soul hop.

Learning to cook is such a valuable life skill for our kids–all of us, really–so good that you are teaching your own boys. Thanks for sharing on Hearth & Soul Hop. :)

Krista Low says:

Miss Brandy these look fabulous. I love cooking with my kids in the kitchen and I love cookies. Almond and cherry pair so well together! 1 Tbsp of almond? Yummo! I just pinned these to my Cookie Board :) Krista @ A Handful of Everything

Julia says:

I enjoy cooking with my kids, and they know it is a good way to spend quality time with Mom, since I’m there so much. The flavor combination in these cookies sounds so delicious! Thanks for sharing your expertise!

Whoa, do these sound delish! Pinning!

DASHA says:

Making you halve the recipe just so you have to do math sounds like something I would totally do!! Love it… and the recipe!

Stacey-
      Halving the recipe really is brilliant. I knew my mom was good :) I hope you enjoy the cookies!

candice says:

So, I will be making these tomorrow with my toddler! Thanks for sharing such a great recipe.

keely hostetter says:

These sound really good to me. I don’t think my kiddos would eat them though. They would eat them if I put white choc or milk choc chips in though.

My boys love dried cherries so it wasn’t a problem for me. You could sub out the chocolate chips for the cherries. I would sub out the cherries for the chocolate chips without a problem and then skip the step of letting the cherries, almond and eggs soak together. Makes them even faster to make!