These carrot oatmeal muffins have all the carrot cake flavors we all know and love but shaped like a healthy and filling muffin that’s perfect as a satisfying breakfast or delicious snack!
Muffins are one of my all time favorite recipes. You can make a large batch and have it ready so everyone can grab and go on their own time. They are also freezer friendly so you can even double that large batch and have frozen muffins ready to be reheated for a while.
These carrot cake muffins are perfect for that! They are also incredibly fluffy andmosit and packed with a spicy hint that’s delicious! They are a total crowd favorite too which is always a plus.
How to customize these carrot oatmeal muffins:
I love that this recipe is also super customizable. I love to make it as described in the recipe but you can also add:
- Chopped nuts
- Dried fruit.
- A big dollop of cream cheese in the middle right before baking it
Important tips to make the best carrot cake muffins:
- Use room temperature eggs: If you want to get super fluffy carrot oatmeal muffins you should use room temperature eggs. They mix into the batter better so that allows your baked goods to rise way more than if you used cold eggs.
- Let your batter rest for 5 minutes before baking them: This works for all baked goods made with oats. Oats take a little bit to soak the liquids so giving it a little time it’s a must.
- Thinly shred your carrots: So they blend well with the rest of your batter. That’s how you get a bit of carrot in every bite of your muffin.
How to store muffins:
You can keep them in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days. If you want to keep them longer store them in an airtight container and in the freezer. Frozen muffins last perfectly fine for up to 4 months.
If you freeze them, once you are ready to serve them take them from the freezer to the toaster or the oven for a couple of minutes. They will taste just like freshly baked!
- 3/4 cup oatmeal (ground down in a food processor if you can)
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar (half white half brown)
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- **1/3 cup of sour milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional I did not add them)
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl until mixed.
- Beat eggs, sour milk, melted butter and vanilla together.
- Mix both wet and dry ingredients together until just combined. Stir in the carrots and raisins.
- Bake at 400 for 16-18 minutes (they will be dark!) for 12 muffins or bake at 400 for 13-15 minutes for mini muffins.
**To sour milk you will add 1/3 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1/3 cup milk.