This creamy potato casserole is guaranteed to become everyone’s favorite side dish! It’s so delicious you will have to stop yourself from eating it with a spoon. Trust me when I say this is perfect for every dinner, even for a fancy holiday or special occasion.
I love potatoes in all forms, I mean you can make them mashed, stuffed, baked, fried. There are a million different ways to have them.
However, my favorite way to have potatoes is in this creamy potato casserole. Because if potatoes are delicious, cheesy potatoes are better.
To make this creamy potato casserole you only need a handful of ingredients you probably already have on hand:
- Cream cheese
- And your cheese of choice
And you also only need a couple of minutes to make it. Just sautee your onion, make a quick cheese sauce, and take everything to the oven.
I’m a firm believer that side dishes should be quick to make because honestly, who wants to slave in the kitchen after a full day of work? Definitely not me.
I also love that, while this is super easy to make and really quick, it looks elevated enough to be served for a holiday or for potlucks. And trust me when I say that everyone will love and rave about this. That’s how delicious this is.
How many potatoes should you make per person when making creamy baked potatoes?
I’m going to be honest with you, I used to struggle so much when making this creamy potato casserole! I was never sure how many potatoes to make per person.
Sometimes I ended with a lot (not that it was a huge problem, I was happy to have enough for seconds and thirds!) or with too little (a huge problem to have because no one wants to be left with just a teaspoon of this deliciousness).
Until I found this formula:
Every time you are making potatoes as a side dish you need ½ pound of potatoes per person.
So ½ pound potatoes X number of people you want to serve.
This recipe, for example, is great for 4 people. So feel free to scale it to fit your family or dinner party.
The formula I shared above is great for every potato recipe you have! So, if you are struggling with how many potatoes use for mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, french fries or whatever, just remember to use ½ pound per person and you are all set.
Can I freeze baked potatoes?
Yes! Feel free to make this ahead of time. This recipe freezes incredibly well, so just make a batch, and freeze right before baking. Once you are ready to serve it, take it straight from the freezer to oven and bake for around double the time.
Love a good side dish recipe? Make sure to also check these out!
- These oven-roasted parmesan green beans are a delicious recipe to make when entertaining! A super easy, yet elevated recipe that everyone will love.
- Or make some amazing easy biscuits that only need 3 ingredients
- And maybe go ahead and make some mashed potato cupcakes because honestly there’s not such a thing as too many potatoes 😉
This creamy potato casserole is guaranteed to become everyone's favorite side dish! It’s so delicious you will have to stop yourself from eating it with a spoon. Trust me when I say this is perfect for every dinner, even for a fancy holiday or special occasion.
- 2 Pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 Cups milk
- 1 Cup chicken broth
- 1/4 Cup butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 Onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup cream cheese
- 1 Cup shredded cheese
- Parmesan cheese
1. In a large pot over medium heat add the potatoes, covered in water and bring to a soft boil. Cook for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain water.
2. Meanwhile prepare the cheese sauce. In a sauce pan over medium heat melt butter. Add onion and cook until translucen, around 5 minutes.
3. Add flour and cook for 3 minutes. Slowly mix in the chicken broth and milk and stir, cook until it thickens. Incorporate cream cheese. Remove from fire. Add cheese.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a baking dish add potatoes and cheese sauce and toss until everything is well coated. Top with parmesan cheese.
6. Take to the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until done.